HomeValue For Money

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ambleral 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

blogger
    Keymaster

With the Greater Manchester Walking Football League having to increase the monthly entry fee from £30 to £35 due to rising costs, do you feel this is still good value for money? With a discount for prepayment this reduces the cost to £32.50 per session.

Many tournaments are charging around the £50 mark and one recent tournament invitation wanted a staggering £70, which begs the question are they just money making schemes?

Ambleral
    Participant

When they are held every three or four months and charging fees like £70 to enter I think that’s fair comment. Money is being made although I’m not sure where it’s spent. If some, or most of it benefits walking football then that’s a good thing. If not, then it’s hard to see it as anything other than a profit making exercise.

I think the GMWF is good value for money. We paid upfront to ease the admin load every month. As a group, our players pay a little over the odds to form a ‘kitty’ to provide individual mementoes if their performance over the months merits such an award. if not we will use it towards entry in other comps, or the Spring League next year. I acknowledge your previously made point about keeping GMWFL costs down. Extra money paid in also pays the cost of a photographic record for our players. With two teams under ‘The Nash’ banner we are looking forward to the competition, now we know a little more of what to expect.

With the Autumn league fast approaching it’s a shame there is not more activity on this forum. I find generally that external (not club or group ) message boards are not that well used. I’ve no idea why.

blogger
    Keymaster

Alan, all forums are notoriously difficult to get off the ground, the vast majority are closed within 12 months due to lack of postings. Even the Walking Football.com ‘In Off The Post’ Forum has very little activity and if it wasn’t for the ability to add club information and galleries I doubt the site would have lasted.

As for this GMWFL forum, we have 10 registered users from probably around 120 players. I can only think that people are not interested in discussing matters related to the league sessions. Even comments on the website posts are minimal and it’s mostly the same people who do comment. The same applies to club websites as I am sure you have found. Apathy rules.

Ambleral
    Participant

Our group website gets plenty of visitors and lots of page views – enough anyway to make the effort worthwhile – but the feedback ratio is fairly abysmal it has to be said. Although players will mention stuff they’ve seen on it when they gather for games. Players enjoy the site, at the time of renewal twenty of them donated a fiver each to renew after I funded it myself for the first year. In the 20 years I’ve been online even the busiest forums – covering everything from politics to holiday destinations, town forums whatever…few enjoy more than 10 per cent contributing from the registered users. Facebook is the exception. Our group there is busy. Not everyone likes constructing longer posts for forums , and maybe others don’t have the inclination. Facebook caters more for the shorter, pithy two or three sentence reply. Forums don’t lend themselves to banter in that way. I’m glad it’s there but Facebook does have drawbacks, including its intrusive nature. WalkingFootball.com is such an innovative site but ‘In Off The Post’ is woefully underused. I came up with the name for it and subsequently added a few threads – with lot of views but few responses. Requests for ‘Over 65’ friendlies had a hundred views and one response – which was my own ! Others have the same experience. The club facility the site organiser has introduced is very useful, and could even do away with the need for a club website of our own in the longer term. We shall see.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.